sorry, but he does.
The ways in which your boyfriend sucks are endless, but here I will attempt to list several of the ways in which your boyfriend is unbearable.
- He expects too much of you. You don’t owe your boyfriend a damn thing. You are a free human with the right, the right, THE RIGHT to make your own, your own, YOUR OWN decisions. He doesn’t get to have a say. He can suggest but you. do. not. have. to. do. ANYTHING because “your boyfriend said so” or “your boyfriend wants you to.” Do you, homegirl. Do you.
- When you exercise your right to do what you want to do, he gets mad. That’s a real femi-nazi you’ve got there. Nice. Leave him.
- When you’re mad, he’s mad at you for being mad. Or he’s upset that you’re mad but makes excuses instead of trying to figure out why you’re really mad, or what the root of the problem is, and what can be done to change it. Especially when it’s clear he is the problem – men are highly defensive creatures.
- He’s incompetent. He
can’twon’t do anything without instruction from you. He’s essentially a child and you are essentially his replacement mother. Upgrade to a man…if you can find one. You are not your boyfriend’s mother.
- He puts on the facade of a man by buying you cheap flowers, chocolates, brings you wine…really stereotypical shit that doesn’t take an ounce of effort or thought. If he’s really thoughtful, he comes home with the thing that makes it better, or your favorites. Not just thoughtless things. Example: if I had a bad day, Lover #3 would come home with a personal (“personal”) sized Oreo cake, or Taco Bell, or Honey BBQ Frito twists. He wasn’t going to bring me flowers – aka something else to take care of. Chocolate makes me break out. Alcohol makes me sick. He thought about it.
- His masculinity is easily threatened. Any man can say he’s chill about all of this. But tell him walk away from a fight in a bar because some guy “looked at you the wrong way.” Tell your man to get over himself. Can he do it? Oh, and check and see if he actually trusts you. There is honestly nothing less attractive than jealousy, you should find it insulting when your man gets jealous over you. It means he thinks you’ll leave him, it means he has his own doubts. Get to the bottom of that, stat.
- He can’t let you lead. He has to call the shots. Or he only allows you to call shots at certain times, so even then he’s still in control. Think about that one long and hard, cause it’s an insidious state of being.
- He thinks he owns you. This is like so many of these points’ bottom line, but ultimately, he thinks of you as his girlfriend. Not as the girl he is in a relationship with. It’s a relationship. Not an ownership. Tell him to get a dog if he wants to own something.
- He has no problem letting you do household chores. Again, you aren’t his mom. Although, be wary of the man who rushes to do the chores for you…he may be trying to make up for a secondary problem.
- He fights with you about stupid things. That’s just exhausting, and no woman has time for that shit.
I mean, maybe I’m making generalizations, and I’m certainly being harsh. Sometimes, everybody sucks. But if your boyfriend does most of these things on a regular basis…raise a flag.
Singledom, baby. The water is niiiice.
XO – Haleigh